Seeking growth opportunities through real estate investments is the core goal of Aetna Realty
We are a privately owned, fully integrated real estate investment company. Over the past twenty years, we have successfully invested in diverse and complex real estate-related assets and investment instruments, in the process cultivating a national presence and a global view.
Our firm’s opportunistic investment approach has allowed it to acquire and manage numerous, successful national and international assets, mitigating risk and enhancing equity returns. Aetna Realty commits its own funds for transactions, and we have invested in over 20 million square feet in real estate deals in major markets.
Headquartered in New York City, Aetna Realty has regional offices in Chicago, Florida, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Phoenix, Texas, Wisconsin and Canada.
We currently have a portfolio of over 10 million square feet in 12 states.
Aetna Realty Company Founded
- Our company’s roots go back more than 119 years, when William E. Lehman and Jack H. Lehman formed their first real estate investment company. As it happens, this fledgling firm played an important role in the development of Newark, New Jersey.
- In 1896, members of the Lehman Family (and other outstanding local business leaders) decided to pool their real estate holdings to form a company which would play a major role in the real estate investment and management. Aetna Realty Company was born.
1929 – 1939
Surviving the Great Depression
- Despite all the odds, Aetna survived the most severe economic downturn in American History. Thanks in part to the cooperation of banks and insurance companies, Aetna met all of its obligations and avoided foreclosure during this tumultuous time.
- During the 1980’s, Aetna Realty handled the purchase of the largest contiguous site in Monmouth County, New Jersey. This 136-acre parcel of land was slated for a mixed-use development, Seaview Corporate Park.
- In 1983, we purchased what was known as the Westinghouse Electric Company’s first industrial headquarters in the United States. Located at 95 Orange Street, Newark, New Jersey, this 500,000 square foot building sits on a four acre site that is ready for development.
- During the 1990’s, Aetna continued to experience positive growth. We purchased properties from RTC (Resolution Trust Corp), thereby significantly expanding our portfolio.
- Moving into the 21st Century, Aetna broke new ground yet again, by purchasing 2 Chicago properties totaling 850,000 square feet.
- Always venturing into new markets, we also acquired over 400,000 square feet of properties in South Florida.
- In 2010, we acquired a 1.7 acre site in Downtown Miami, which is presently leased to Macy’s Department Store.
- In addition, we own and asset manage a portfolio of 3 million square feet of Class A office and retail properties in Montreal, Canada.